Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Perseids Meteor Shower -- This is it!

Every August, the Earth passes through a pile of crap, er, a cloud of particles that have been ejected from comet Swift-Tuttle on its way around the Sun. The Perseids got their name form the location in the sky where they appear to come from ... Perseus Constellation.

This is what one looks like ... linked from Wikipedia page ...


And this is what one does not look like, shot tonight by me a bit too early at 9:45pm ... pointing north east ...


It's a pretty image, but no perseid ...

The peak times for seeing meteors is between midnight and dawn on the 12th ... that starts in less than an hour. I believe that things will peak at 100 meteors per hour around 4am ... and then dawn will break and dim everything ...

If I stay up and happen fluke a sighting, you can bet it'll be posted here on a update ... so if you don't see one here, then I slept through it all ...

2 comments:

crazy football mom said...

I take it you slept thru it?

Kim Letkeman said...

I did :-)