Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Orion Nebula – D7000 + 105mm f/2.5 Ai

So I was rather intrigued with my results the other day with that Sigma macro lens. I noticed Orion sitting outside my window a half hour ago so I dragged the D7000 on tripod with the 105mm f/2.5 Ai on it to see how sharp this lens is wide open. And I must say that it is seriously sharp.

I experimented with exposures and settled on one that gave pin-point stars and the best nebulosity. I suppose that it is no surprise that I ended up at 6400 ISO with f/2.5 and 1/2s.

So the results … a dollop of Topaz Denoise 5 was needed to clean out the super fine grain.

The stars are a bit soft, but that’s because I cropped very closely and then resized upwards. I am very pleased with the look of the nebula, as it has the right shape and some of the key stars are there. Cool …

Now, what does it really look like you might ask …

Ok … so the Hubble telescope is a little better …

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/tours/tour-orion/