Sunday, December 22, 2013

Fuji XQ1 Review – Part 7 – Macro in real life …

So I have this fruit fly problem. Not quite sure where they are coming from …

Anyway, I put this sticky plastic fly catcher on the window as it is supposed to attract them when the sun shines on them. No idea why, but it sure works.

It is interesting, and a little gross, to look at them close up. As they struggle, they get more body parts stuck to the glue and they kind of wreck themselves.

Warning: If you are squeamish, please do yourself a favour and give this one a miss.

The XQ1 is very pleasant for general purpose shooting, and that includes getting close in for macro shots. So when I had a nice day, I shot various angles on the flies that had been captured.


fuji xq1  6.4mm  100iso  f/4  1/200

Yes, I shot that at DR100 … there was no range to speak of so why not.


fuji xq1  6.4mm  100iso  f/4  1/120

This one ripped himself apart struggling … I actually feel a little sad to see this. On the other hand, I cannot abide insects in my mouse.


fuji xq1  6.4mm  100iso  f/4  1/150

In that one, you can see the reflection of the Fuji lens, which is kind of cool … sort of like a shark’s mouth looming …

I took the liberty of cropping the first image to see how well the XQ1 images hold their detail when enlarged past 100% … I think you will be surprised at how nicely this works.


click to see it larger in another browser tab

Is there anything more disgusting than seeing through a fly’s legs and seeing the hair on its head and back? This is seriously gross …

And that’s the point. This camera does a really nice job close in. Cropping latitude if very high and you should be able to have a great time with this camera and your local insects.